Saturday 1 November 2008

Everything’s ankle straps, Marabou, Shalimar



We all turned out for the new Playhouse Theatre run of La Cage Aux Folles last night to help celebrate our friend John-John 's birthday. We had been to see the original run at the Menier Chocolate Factory, and at the time I predicted this would get to the West End - so how did the two compare?

Read my review

Well, when we saw the original, the star Douglas Hodge was unwell so we didn't experience his take on the part [it was "played to quivering perfection by (the understudy) Spencer Stafford", as I said in my blog]. So it was a bit of a surprise to find Mr Hodge had decided to play Albin/Zaza as a sort of Alan Carr/Dick Emery character...

This was disconcerting, to say the least, and inevitably meant that much of the subtlety and pathos of the show was lost. As the gurning, stereotypical gay (and particularly "telly star gay" - Barrymore, Carr, Norton) humour went on, the largely ignorant audience bayed with laughter at the visual gags, and missed the subtlety of important parts of the story.

Personally I was fuming when Hodge threw in a "chase me, chase me" gag into what should have been a far more interesting scene about the relationship between Georges and Albin. [I hate Duncan Norvelle and his brand of "playing-to-the-tabloids" homophobia, and cannot see why doing this kind of impression is in any way relevant to the show.]

And in consequence of this "dumbing-down" we sometimes felt that the general sympathies of the audience lay with the machinations of the erstwhile son rather than the put-upon gay "parents".



Anyway, in its favour this production does have its merits. Much of the brilliance of the DV8 production remains intact - the "birdcage" dance choreography, in particular the scene where Albin stirs the cocktail as the dancers whirl about him, for example. Douglas Hodge, when he stops playing up for laughs, is vocally superb in his big numbers - I Am What I Am, and The Best Of Times in particular.

And as Michael Billington in his Guardian review says, "Denis Lawson may not possess the massive dignity that Philip Quast originally brought to the role of Georges", but he is remarkable in revealing his singing and dancing talents, which we all found impressive.

The ultimate conclusion that everyone came to after the "post-match analysis" that accompanies these occasions, is that Jerry Herman is a genius, La Cage Aux Folles is one of the best musicals of all time, and if this had been the first time we'd seen the show in its current form, we would have thought it marvellous. Had we not been spoiled by seeing it first at the Menier Chocolate Factory, and had we not had to put up with the stupid drunken ignorant West End audience, it would have been a far better night. But all-in-all it was great fun and worth seeing nonetheless!

A Little More Mascara
Once again I'm a little depressed by the tired old face that I see,
Once again it is time to be someone, who's anyone other than me.
With the rare combination of girlish excitement and manly restraint,
I position my precious assortment of pencils and powders and paint.

So whenever I feel that my place in the world is beginning to crash,
I apply one great stroke of Mascara to my rather limp upper lash.
And I can cope again, Good God! There's hope again!

When life is a real bitch again, and my old sense of humour has up, and gone
It's time for the big switch again, I put a little more Mascara on.
When I count my crow's feet again, and tired of this perpetual marathon,
I put down the loo-seat again, and put a little more Mascara on.

And ev'rything's sparkle dust, bugle beads, ostrich plumes,
When it's a beaded lash that you look through,
'Cause when I feel glamorous, elegant, beautiful,
The world that I'm looking at's beautiful too!

When my little road has a few bumps again,
And I need something level to lean upon,
I put on my sling pumps again,
And wham! This ugly duckling is a swan!
So when my spirit starts to sag,
I hustle out my highest drag,
And put a little more mascara on.

And everything's ankle straps, Marabou, Shalimar!
It's worth sucking in my gut, and girdling my rear.
'Cause ev'rything's ravishing, sensual, fabulous!
When Albin is tucked away, and, ZaZa is here!

When everything slides down the old tubes again,
And when my self esteem has begun to drift,
I strap on my fake boobs again,
And literally give myself a lift.
So when it's cold and when it's bleak,
I simply rouge the other cheek,
For I can face another day
In slipper satin lingerie.

To make depression disappear,
I screw some rhinestones on my ear,
And put my brooches and tiara,
And a little more mascara on

Sparkle dust, bugle beads,
Ankle straps, Marabou...On! Ankle straps, Marabou,
Ostrich plumes, Shalimar,
Ravishing, fabulous, on! Ravishing, fabulous, on!



La Cage Aux Folles at the Playhouse Theatre

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]