Wednesday 11 March 2009

Following the river of death downstream



Thirty years ago this week, the charts were dominated by one song - Bright Eyes by Art Garfunkel. Everyone was sick to death of it, as I recall. I don't know anyone who actually bought it. But there it was, in the words of Phil Oakey "the black hit of space, sucking in the human race."

Evidence - if any were needed - of the eclecticism of music at the time were the "ones that got away"; those that hit the Top 5 in March 1979 but couldn't shift the big 'un.

These included The Jacksons - Shake Your Body (Down To The Ground), Racey - Some Girls, Sex Pistols - Something Else / Friggin' In The Riggin', Sister Sledge - He's The Greatest Dancer , Supertramp - The Logical Song, and this one (amongst my favourites):

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]