Wednesday 27 May 2009

Horror Hammers



As we raise a glass (of virgin's blood, perhaps?) in toast to Christopher Lee, whose 77th birthday it is today, it is worth pondering on a bizarre coincidence...

Amazingly, fellow horror star Peter Cushing was born on May 26 (yesterday) and Vincent Price was also born on today's date! Three horror icons, contemporaries, sharing birthdays on two consecutive dates. Even better, the three men were good friends.

Of his meeting Christopher Lee in 1968, Vincent Price said, “I had heard he was very pompous, and I was really a little worried about meeting him. Well, we took one look at each other and started laughing… We find each other hysterically funny.”

On meeting Peter Cushing on the set of The Curse of Frankenstein. Christopher Lee wrote, “Our very first encounter began with me storming into his dressing-room and announcing in petulant tones, ‘I haven’t got any lines!’ He looked up, his mouth twitched and he said dryly, ‘You’re lucky. I’ve read the script.” And from that moment on the two men became friends for life.

And here are the three great hams in one of their rare performances together:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]