Monday 14 September 2009

Yma played Sondheim?



Today we mark what would have been the 87th birthday of the fabulously exotic Yma Sumac, "Nightingale of the Andes" and proud possessor of a five-octave operatic voice, which she certainly put to very good use no matter what musical genre she was singing - be it mambo, traditional, or show music.

Read my blog on the occasion of her death last year.

Today I stumbled across this rarity, and just had to share - it's a video of Miss Sumac in a 1990 revival of Sondheim's Follies in which she starred alongside Juliet Prowse, Shani Wallis and Dorothy Lamour...


Now wouldn't THAT have been a show worth seeing?

Yma Sumac

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]