Wednesday 30 June 2010

Do you remember? Oh, how you brought me down (down, down)



This year, Pride celebrates 40 years since the founding of the Gay Liberation Front.

This year I also celebrate a milestone - twenty-five years since my first Gay Pride, way back in 1985!

I have (obviously) written about it before, but it is worth reflecting on those far less "free" times for gay people (the age of consent was still 21, and Section 28 had just entered the statute books).

Tom Robinson was the headline act:


Divine floated past the crowd at Jubilee Gardens, belting out her hits on a Thames barge:


And on that date, this slice of campness was Number One in the charts! Happy memories...


Pride London

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]