Saturday 8 October 2011

Something old, something new



We had a lovely time at the Glamour of the Gods/Glamour Factory event last night - the National Portrait Gallery was packed to the brim with fabulously stylish people (the theme was Hollywood and "black and white", and people really took to it with a vengeance). The glamour makeovers were all fully booked and the individual talks and the cocktail bar were chock-a-block, but the Peppermint Candy DJs (pictured above) were fab (all 30s and 40s music), and the atmosphere was marvellous!

Over at Dolores Delargo Towers Museum of Camp, I will be featuring selections from the magnificent Glamour of the Gods photo exhibition throughout the week...

Enough of the vintage - let's have another of my regular swishes through the newer music that has caught my attention recently. I open today's selection with a really controversial choon - well, I say controversial only because the newly re-formed Steps have decided to release as their new single a cover version of Abba's Dancing Queen, and that is likely to set some hackles rising among the pop purists...


Speaking of Swedes, thanks once again the the lovely Henry over at the fantabulosa Barbarella's Galaxy for flagging up the new (excellent) single from musical genius Alexander Bard and his latest pet project Gravitonas - enjoy Lucky Star!


Described as "an upcoming act from Brighton’s hub of musical talent" [how I hate that word "hub"], here's the Special Ks with their catchy new single Crystal Fields - which reminds me of something else, but I am damned if I can put my finger on it...




Now, here's a difficult one. I love minimalist electro music, and the rather striking-looking Matthew Duffy does that particular genre of music very well. However, I am in two minds about his cover of Pete Shelley of the Buzzcocks' timeless classic Homosapien...


On the one hand, Mr Duffy's is an atmospheric and rather good stand-alone track. On the other, it cannot compare with the original. What do you reckon, dear reader?


Much, much better is this excellent new single from a dramatic young lady calling herself Queen of Hearts, Shoot the Bullet. Produced by Swedish electro-meisters (and house favourites here at Dolores Delargo Towers) The Sound Of Arrows, it's rather reminiscent of Robyn or Hercules and Love Affair I reckon - which is definitely no bad thing in my book!


And finally, it is after all a Saturday, so we should really finish on a party note - and who better to provide that than the almighty Miss Gloria Estefan with her new anthem Wepa!


Whatever you do this weekend, enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I must admit my heart did sink a little when I heard the new song on Steps Ultimate album was going to be Dancing Queen - I'm still too scared to listen to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ADORE "Wepa", of course. Still waiting for the album to arrive in the mail...

    I am a big fan of Sounds Of Arrows - looking forward to the album, which is supposed to be excellent! And I quite like what I have heard in the past from Matthew Duffy...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds of Arrows are indeed fab - I will look out for their new album, of course...

    I don't dislike Mr Duffy at all. He is very good, but I just think Mr Shelley's original is so much better. What do you think?
    Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]