Friday 2 March 2012

Hump Day!



The British entry for the Eurovision Song Contest is a bit of a surprise this year...

from The Telegraph:
Step forward Engelbert Humperdinck, the 75-year-old crooner who last had a top 20 hit in 1972.

The man christened Arnold George Dorsey - but known to his admirers as The Hump - will carry the hopes of the nation in Baku, Azerbaijan, on May 26.

The Eurovision single, yet to be announced, has impressively cool credentials: it will be written and produced by the team behind Adele, Mary J Blige and Lana Del Rey.
Wow.

Now I know we are still on holiday, but it is nevertheless the end of another week, with all the partying and mayhem ahead. Thank Disco It's Friday, and all that!

However, with "The Hump" in the news, let's twist the genre slightly...



...and dance "The Hump" way!

Engelbert Humperdinck website

10 comments:

  1. Can't wait to hear the song! But it angers me that we wait until a couple of months before the competition to start promoting our entry.

    Most countries have known their choice of song (and artist) for some months. We need to get our arses in gear earlier that way we may get one or two points more than usual nil point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The songwriting team sounds promising, and at least this year we have an artist who can actually sing and has a little bit of experience on a stage :-)

      As for the way the UK treats its choice of entry, I agree we don't do a big build-up or a festival like the Scandinavians and Dutch, and it is strange that we don't have the "Song for Europe" anymore. But let's face it, where did that get us in the recent past?

      Jx

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean. I blame the BBC for the lack of apathy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear - I just dont know what to say to this...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How about?

      "I wonder should I go or should stay
      The band had only one more song to play
      And then I saw you out the corner of my eye
      A little girl alone, and shy

      I had the Last Waltz with you
      Two lonely people together
      I fell in love with you
      The Last Waltz should last forever"

      Jx

      Delete
  4. He sang a song called "Lesbian Seagull", you know? Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HUMPERDINCK!!

    On a semi-related note, I've recently found myself enjoying Tom Jones' latest album. It's surprisingly good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not so surprising - one of the best voices Wales ever produced, boyo! Jx

      Delete
  6. Lesbian Seagull would be a good choice for Eurovision - what a shame it has to be a new song.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it would certainly not be the first time a lesbian song won it! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]