Thursday 15 March 2012

Sign your name across my heart



In a week when the news was released that Sade - doyenne of the particular style of late-night classy music that emerged in the mid 80s alongside the rise of the "Yuppie" and minimalist "loft apartments" - outsold Adele in the world ranking of highest musical earners of 2011, it may well be time for a revival of "dinner party music". But is the world really ready for a major comeback by today's birthday boy?

For we wish a very happy 50th birthday to Mr Terence Trent D'Arby (nowadays known as Sananda Maitreya) today - a fact that makes me feel very old indeed...


Mr D'Arby/Maitreya's website

7 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Terence - and what great news about Sade making more money then the extremely overrated Adele!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, not sure about Adele being "overrated", but she does have some way to go to prove her staying power. It is amazing that even without any significant hits here for decades Sade continues her reign as Britain's most successful solo female singer (although some sources cite Petula Clark's sales as higher)! Jx

      Delete
  2. I am feeling younger and younger everyday...YEAH RIGHT! Loving this song...special memories for me. Don't forget my 50th birthday is April 9th! I will expect an amazing tribute post then...*kidding* Shine On Terence! xoxoMM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terence Trout D'Arby is 50 too - (not the same as 52)

    I loved his first album, I did buy Neither Flesh Nor Fish (second album and very odd it is too, don't recommend) but his third album (might be 4th I was put off by Fish/Flesh) with the duet with Des'ree was rather good - unfortunately I think the tide had turned against him by then and it wasn't the success it maybe could have been if it was the follow-up to Introducing the Hardline...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot deny it - I have never owned a Terence Trent D'Arby album... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]