Tuesday 7 August 2012

D-d-do it, baby please



I watched a retrospective documentary tonight on ITV all about a singular pop phenomenon. Twenty-five years ago, the chart world was dominated by a unique force - those three likely lads, Stock Aitken and Waterman and their Hit Factory.

In this week alone in 1987, Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley, Sinitta's Toy Boy, FLM by Mel And Kim, I Heard A Rumour by Bananarama and indeed Roadblock by Stock Aitken Waterman themselves were all in the Top 40.

But the PWL boys didn't have it all their own way. From out of nowhere (well, Italy actually) came another pop powerhouse called Spagna with her equally catchy Call Me - which very nearly beat dear Rick to the top! And here it is:


However, even the lady's magnificent "Phyllis Diller" hairdo couldn't bag her another big hit here.

Facts about Ivana Spagna:
  • She started her career as one half of that fantabulosa Hi-NRG duo Fun Fun.
  • The number 2 position achieved by Call Me apparently remains the highest ever reached in the UK charts by an Italian singer.
  • After her one UK and US hit, she moved to California. Unfortunately, fame eluded her there and she returned to Italy to great success - to date she has sold more than 10 million records!

Spagna website

3 comments:

  1. While Sam Fox was the "oh, the boobs" one, Spagna was the one that made me swear off hairspray for life. I did like the song though and still do - I also quite liked "Easy Lady".

    Much to my delight, I found the PWL documentary on YouTube - I had seen the advert and really wanted to see the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love Call Me...

      Jx

      PS I assume the link I posted to the SAW documentary didn't work for you, so I have changed it to the YouTube one. Fab documentary!

      Delete
  2. I was at Hercules & Love Affair last night but I will try to catch this on ITVplayer if it's around for a while - another 2 Meltdown shows this week

    x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]