Thursday 2 August 2012

My idea of heaven is moving from one smoke-filled room to another









Happy 80th birthday today to one of the most prodigious talents in the acting world - and arguably one of the coolest men on the planet - Mr Peter Seamus O'Toole!

Possessor of innate charm and the most beautiful piercing blue eyes, bon vivant, notorious lover of drinking, smoking and women (no wonder Miss Sian Phillips and so many others fell for him!), Mr O'Toole's theatrical and on-screen history is one of the most impressive of the lot.

In a 50-year career he has more than held his own against acting giants such as his friends Richard Burton and Katherine Hepburn, and starred alongside just about every star in the firmament including Sophia Loren, Jack Hawkins, David Niven, Audrey Hepburn, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Alec Guinness, Peter Sellers, Anthony Hopkins, Burt Lancaster, Michael Redgrave, Omar Sharif, John Mills, Denholm Elliott, Faye Dunaway, Jim Broadbent, Albert Finney, Leslie Phillips, Joanna Lumley and many, many more.

Rather sadly, he recently announced his retirement from acting. But I suppose, when you are 80, you are excused a bit of a rest...

I love this man!

"Life turned out much better than I thought. I knew after a little while that I could act."

"It's my job, it's what I do, it's what I'm on earth to do and it's who I am."

"I'm the most gregarious of men and love good company, but never less alone when alone."

"I can`t stand light. I hate weather. My idea of heaven is moving from one smoke-filled room to another."

"The only exercise I take is walking behind the coffins of friends who took exercise."

"I have no memories I'm prepared to share with you."


Peter O'Toole (born 2 August 1932)

3 comments:

  1. Hooray!
    He's a lot of fun (for those of us who don't live with him, I'm sure...) xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But imagine having a drink with him! Jx

      Delete
    2. I'd be unconscious long before he was tipsy, I'm sure...

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]