Thursday 20 September 2012

Musiquery



It has been a real "desert" as far as new music is concerned lately! Now we are past the "silly season", at least the new releases are indeed starting to arrive in a trickle, but even so, not a great selection unfortunately.

For example, I would love to celebrate the return of the newly out-gay Mika, but I really don't like his new song The Origin of Love. Pink? Nah. Alanis Morissette? Puh-lease... George Michael? Not a chance. The Noisettes? I don't think so. Anything destined to actually hit the charts these days (hip-hop, hip-hop, hip-hop)? - never!

Pet Shop Boys' newest song is the rather dreamy Leaving, another track from their new album Elysium. Back to the "bedsit music" of their heyday, methinks...


Raising the jollity level a bit, here are the stars of the "daylight segment" of the recent Proms in the Park, the lovely Gypsy Queens and Americano:


This week we see the very welcome return of No Doubt, with a new single (and a new album Push And Shove coming up at the end of the month). It's pleasant enough, so Settle Down:


Another occasionally interesting artist with a new single out this week is Ladyhawke, pop-psychedelic revivalist-a-go-go. So get yer kaftans on - "Nananananana!":


Typically intriguing, classic electro-experimentalists The Presets have a most unusual (almost Red Indian-sounding) single out, Ghosts, with an equally moody video...


To end on a high note, here's a rather fabulous choon for your delectation (and pick of the bunch!). Taking us right back to the mid-80s PWL sound with this remix from Pete Hammond, it's the new one from the faboo Parralox, Sharper Than A Knife:


As always, enjoy! (And let me know what you think...)

4 comments:

  1. I agree 100% - this year has left a lot to be desired, music wise!

    Most of the comebacks have left a lot to be desired as well. Both songs from the forthcoming Mika album are dreadful, I have only heard the George Michael song once and I am not in any hurry to hear it again, the Alanis song is not completely bad but I still feel she's been doing the same thing for years, the Presets song is not nearly as good as I had hoped for, I hate the No Doubt single, I am sick to death of Pink by now - the list goes on and on...

    Thankfully, the new Pet Shop Boys single is fantastic! And there are hopefully some things on the horizon soon...

    Oh, the Parralox song is great and I love that remix! I think everyone should get a Pete Hammond mix!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed a bit trying for us "music bloggers" to wade through the stuff we find, only to realise there isn't much to post about. Fingers crossed for the Autumn/Winter Season... Jx

      PS Pete Hammond is a genius!

      Delete
  2. Although I'm not a fan of hers I will be listening to Pink's Blow Me (One Last Kiss) on my IPod.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]