Thursday 4 October 2012

A poor life this



It's National Poetry Day, apparently.

In recognition of that fact, as I wearily try and muster myself for another day in the office, here is one of my favourites - Leisure by the Welsh poet W.H. Davies, read by the mellifluous Sir John Gielgud:


What is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?

No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:

No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:

No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:

No time to turn at Beauty's glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:

No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?

A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.


William Henry Davies (3rd July 1871 – 26th September 1940)

2 comments:

  1. And now for one of MY faves...

    Candy
    Is dandy
    But liquor
    Is quicker.

    -- Ogden Nash

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And another of mine:

      I must go down to the sea again,
      to the lonely sea and the sky;
      I left my shoes and socks there -
      I wonder if they're dry?


      - Spike Milligan

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]