Thursday 11 October 2012

About a Boy



Apparently this week thirty years ago, a certain Madonna Ciccone released her very first record Everybody, and began her quest for world domination. It would, of course, take another couple of years before she was even heard of in the UK.

No, thirty years ago, the world belonged to a boy called George - whose appearance and amazingly catchy debut hit Do You Really Want To Hurt Me? was practically the only thing in the news in October 1982 (Cold War, Falklands fall-out, suppression of the Polish Solidarity union and the raising of the Mary Rose aside...). Something had changed in society, for good, with this single.


Culture Club official website

7 comments:

  1. Unlike Karma Chameleon, I never tire of hearing Do You Really Want To Hurt Me - it was a change for British music but also live would never be the same as it was again for millions of fans around the world - me included x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is strange how certain Culture Club songs (like "Karma Chameleon", "War" and "Time") really grate now, yet this and "Victims" do not. Jx

      Delete
  2. it's just Karma Chameleon for me, I don;t mind hearing the other two - hardly ever do hear the other two which might have something to do with it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Victims" is my absolute fave from Culture Club. Their first two albums are still fabulous (I adore "Black Money" to this day).

    "Time (Clock Of The Heart)" is probably my second favorite single of theirs. I know I say this all the time, but GOD, I miss the 80s!!!!

    (And then, those couple of years later a certain queen did indeed break the UK market and nothing would ever be the same again...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed "Victims" is one of my all-time favourite songs (and, in my poignant memories of the impact of AIDS in the 80s, was quite an anthem at the time for the friends we lost)... Jx

      Delete
  4. The Boy was my world back then, I don't deny it.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]