Saturday 2 March 2013

Música pop



It is really about time I shared with you once again, dear reader, some of the weird and wonderful musical discoveries I have made over the last - ahem! - few weeks. The last one I did was in January, after all...

First up, our pop Princess Kylie has had rather a busy time of it over the past year, what with 2012 being her Silver Jubilee'n'all. Concert tours, special appearances, The Abbey Road Sessions, she even starred in a lesbian horror movie Jack & Diane! And to celebrate the coming of the new year, she not only changed management - to RocNation (sigh), home of such favourites (not) as Rihanna, Timbaland and Solange - but has released one of the songs from the aforesaid movie. Here's the very unusual Whistle...


To cheer us all up, Boy George protegés The Supreme Fabulettes' latest single is the camp-as-tits A Drag Queen Is A Cowboy's Best Friend:


Speaking of stalwarts of the "alternative" gay clubbing scene in London, Shinky Shonky impresario Boogaloo Stu has a new single out, a typically retro-sounding track - Magic Soul. It gets under your skin after a while...


I have absolutely no idea what the next song is all about as its description is in Hebrew, but it appears to be some kind of promotion for an Israeli restaurant. I don't give a toss, dears, it is from the same producers who brought us Uriel Yekutiel, it has pretty boys and good music, and that's worth something!

I will always have a soft spot for the outrageous Iberian pseudo-Goths Fangoria. Once again I have no clue what they are on about, but they certainly appear to have thrown everything but the kitchen sink into their new single and video:


Apparently the strangely-named Blitzkids mvt entered this song in the contest to decide Germany's entry for the Eurovision Song Contest, only to lose to bloody Cascada. Shame, it's quite a good song:


From their forthcoming album of the same name, here's the saviours of electro music Hurts with a taster video for the track Exile. The most recent single is actually Miracle, but I think that is a bit too Coldplay for my liking. I may get used to it eventually. This, on the other hand is excellent...


Known-in-cool-circles Mr John Grant is one of those "poetic" singer-songwriters whose music has never attracted me. Until now, that is, when - on the recommendation of The Guardian no less - I heard the "No Ceremony Remix" of his track in collaboration with Biggi Veira from Icelandic dance pioneers Gus Gus, Pale Green Ghosts. It's rather fab, actually!



Canadian band Young Galaxy have a new single Pretty Boy, which sounds remarkably like Yellow Magic Orchestra. And that is no bad thing:


With eternal thanks to "AyeM8y" at Mean Dirty Pirate blog for the tip-off, here is the remarkable Miss Guy - lead singer of a band called the Toilet Boys, apparently - and Take It Off with a rather - erm - interesting video: [2023 UPDATE: Gone from the interwebs - here's the track on Soundcloud.]

We welcome once more with open arms the utterly brilliant Gossip - featuring one of our contemporary heroines Beth Ditto - and their newest release Get a Job!


And finally, with the gayest video on the planet, here's the lovely Del Marquis' first effort away from the Scissor Sisters (since they announced their hopefully temporary hiatus last year) - its Del & Xavier with Tickle Your Fancy!


Enjoy! And let me know what you think...

4 comments:

  1. I only got as far as

    "one of those "poetic" singer-songwriters whose music has never attracted me."

    and I had to stop reading … :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly I don't have time right now to get through all the tracks, I will have to revisit this post. I have already seen the Gossip video, quite liked it. And I do love the Supreme Fabulettes track!

    Blitzkids would have been a much better choice for Germany then Cascada (dear lord!) and I like Del & Xavier track. Hurts however are leaving a somewhat bitter taste in my mouth, trying to re-launch themselves as some bloody rockstars (complete with interviews about throwing up in Michael Bay's swimming pool, bleeding noses and drug use). All seems a little sad...

    Still haven't heard the Kylie song, looking forward to it! I am rather worried about her new album though, considering she is working with the bloody producers responsible for a lot of Rihanna's stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree with you on the matter of how Hurts have changed in such a short time - it's as if they want to compress their imitation of Depeche Mode's career (from electro-pop to stadium rock and back again) into a couple of years...

      As for the Kylie collaboration with Jay-Z's godawful Roc Nation krew, I shudder at the thought of what they will try and do with her. Madge's "Hard Candy", anyone? Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]