Wednesday 24 April 2013

Make me a match



I know I have featured this strange coincidence before, but when we have two of our Patron Saints sharing a birthday, what can one do but try and make a connection?

There are probably myriad connections, personally and professionally. However there is one notable work that provides the link today between our birthday girls Barbra Streisand (71) and Shirley MacLaine (79) - Thornton Wilder's finest moment, his play The Matchmaker!

For indeed, Miss MacLaine starred in the original 1958 screen adaptation of Mr Wilder's play - as the romantic lead, milliner Irene Molloy:


And of course, in 1969 Miss Streisand took the eponymous "Matchmaker" role in the Ernest Lehman/Gene Kelly adaptation of the Jerry Herman musical based upon that same play, Hello Dolly!:


Happy birthday, ladies!

Mega-Babs

Shirl

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]