Wednesday 10 April 2013

Pop Maggie



In this week when just about everything revolves around the Iron Lady, I thought it worth taking a look at what was top of the charts the day she won the 1979 election and entered Downing Street, and what was there when she left after eleven years...

Unfortunately Art Garfunkel's Bright Eyes was Number 1 on 4th May 1979:


...but the Number 2 record was one I had actually forgotten, Racey - Some Girls:


And when she lost that crucial vote in November 1990 that led to her downfall as head of the Conservative Party, and inevitably her resignation as Prime Minister? A most appropriate song:

The Beautiful South - A Little Time...


...and bubbling under? The Happy Mondays - Kinky Afro:


RIP Margaret Thatcher

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]