Tuesday 4 June 2013

That's the way it ought to be



It's through!

From the BBC:
Peers have voted by more than two to one to back government plans for same-sex marriages in England and Wales.

The House of Lords spent two days debating the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, with many members voicing their concerns.

But it rejected an amendment aimed at wrecking the bill by 242 votes, moving it a step closer to becoming law.

The bill would allow couples, who can currently form civil partnerships, to marry...and will now go forward to more detailed scrutiny by peers.

The result was greeted with cheers from supporters of same-sex marriage gathered outside Parliament.

Ben Summerskill, chief executive of the gay rights group Stonewall, said he was delighted, adding: "Britain's 3.7 million gay people don't deserve to be second class citizens in their own country.

"A tough fight lies ahead and we'll continue to work tirelessly every single day to get equal marriage through the Lords."


Peter Tatchell, who co-ordinates the Equal Love campaign, said: "This is a victory for love, marriage and equality.

"We are another step closer to our goal of equal marriage. It signals that the House of Lords accepts the principle that we should all be equal before the law."
And just by way of a small celebration, here's a huge gay icon - John Barrowman, with the very appropriate Marry Me A Little from Stephen Sondheim's Company:


Marry me a little,
Love me just enough.
Cry, but not too often,
Play, but not too rough.
Keep a tender distance
so we'll both be free.
That's the way it ought to be.
I'm ready!
Marry me a little,
Do it with a will.
Make a few demands
I'm able to fulfil.
Want me more than others,
Not exclusively.
That's the way it ought to be.
I'm ready!
I'm ready now!

You can be my best friend,
I can be your right arm.
We'll go through a fight or two--
No harm, no harm.
We'll look not too deep,
We'll go not too far.
We won't have to give up a thing,
We'll stay who we are.
Right?
Okay, then.
I'm ready!
I'm ready now!

Someone -
Marry me a little,
Love me just enough.
Warm and sweet and easy,
Just the simple stuff.
Keep a tender distance
So we'll both be free.
That's the way it ought to be.
I'm ready!

Marry me a little,
Body, heart, and soul.
Passionate as hell
But always in control.
Want me first and foremost,
Keep me company.
That's the way it ought to be.
I'm ready!
I'm ready now!

Oh, how gently we'll talk,
Oh, how softly we'll tread.
All the stings,
The ugly things
We'll keep unsaid.
We'll build a cocoon
Of love and respect.
You promise whatever you like,
I'll never collect.
Right?
Okay, then.
I'm ready.
I'm ready now.
Someone...

I'm ready!


Equal Love Campaign

4 comments:

  1. So glad to see that things are moving in the right direction in the UK!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slowly, slowly, catch-ee monkey... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]