Monday 8 July 2013

When I want a melody lilting through the house


Eydie doesn't like Mondays either

A glorious weekend is over - and yah, boo, sucks, the sunshine continues. Never mind, as I drag this sun-craving carcass off to the stuffy office, it is still Tacky Music Monday, and we have showtunes to celebrate!

Here to cheer us up are today's birthday boy Steve Lawrence and his missus the incomparable Eydie Gormé, here with special guest star Gene Kelly, on a rather jolly version of George and Ira Gershwin's By Strauss:


Away with the music of Broadway
Be off with your Irving Berlin
Oh I give no quarter to Kern or Cole Porter
And Gershwin keeps pounding on tin

How can I be civil when hearing this drivel
It's only for nightclubbin' souses
Oh give me the free 'n' easy waltz that is Vienneasy and
Go tell the band If they want a hand
The waltz must be Strauss's

Ya, ya ya, give me oom-pa-pah
When I want a melody
Lilting through the house
Then I want a melody
By Strauss
It laughs, it sings, the world is in rhyme
Swinging to three-quarter time

Let the Danube flow along
And the Fledermauss
Keep the wine and give me song
By Strauss

By Jove, by Jing, by Strauss is the thing
So I say to ha-cha-cha, heraus!
Just give me your oom-pa-pah, by Strauss!


Have a great week!

Steve and Eydie official website

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]