Friday 9 August 2013

Kleine jodeljongen



And so, dear reader, by the time you read this we should be well on our way for a well-deserved weekend - for my 50th birthday tomorrow - in the city of all cities, Amsterdam! I really cannot believe it has been three years since we were last there (I used to go at least once, if not more times, every year).

To celebrate, I have chosen some examples of the type of music we go there for!

We love an old-time pub sing-a-long. Over here, it is in in the tradition of Music Hall tunes (Roll Out The Barrel, Oh What A Beauty, Down At The Old Bull And Bush, Let's All Go Down The Strand, that sort of thing).

In Holland, this tradition is called "Levenslied" ("Songs about Life").

And here are some of our beloved masters of that genre...





Ik houd van Nederlandse muziek!

"Normal" service will be resumed on Tuesday...

7 comments:

  1. Have a wonderful trip - and more importantly:

    HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Hope you have a fabulous day tomorrow! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Razzle Dazzle 'em, Jon.

    Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness!

    Happy happy happy birthday to you!!!!!!!

    I'd try to say it in Dutch, but I'd probably hurt myself.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds wonerful. Enjoy your trip to Amsterdam. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy Birthday, you fabulous creature! All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, daaaahhhlings! Or should I say, "Heel hartelijk bedankt!"

    Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]