Sunday 4 August 2013

Sommer musik



It has been a while since my last round-up of "newer" music that has come to my attention - so let's get to it!

First up is an artist I have neglected to investigate much before - Miss Gabriella Cilmi. I suppose her debut Sweet About Me was subject to such radio overkill that I was somewhat put off, but courtesy of Radio 2 (where I heard this earlier today), I am rather taken with her new one The Sting:


The lovely Henry at Barbarella's Galaxy shares my eternal adulation of Army Of Lovers (and indeed any of Aleksander Bard's projects such as Alcazar and BWO), and it was he who drew my attention to this, the entirely unnecessary 2013 re-recording of their all-time classic Crucified:


It may have been released two years ago, but I pay due deference to Neil and Chris of the Pet Shop Boys, who, in their guest slot on the Dave Pearce Dance Years radio show recently picked this remix of a song - that seems to have been a massive hit all across Europe, but never made it in the UK - by Miss Lykke Li:


Much more up-to-date is this rather summery little dance ditty by ETML, aka Londoner Elliott Marshall - it's the incredibly infectious Bind Me:


Speaking of summer anthems, let's crank up the wireless and rave along with the rather fab collaboration between mega-DJ/producers Alex Metric and Jacques Lu Cont, featuring on vocals Malin Dahlström of Niki & The Dove!
[2019 UPDATE: the "video of surfers" has been replaced by the official video to accompany this song]


From the world of rave to the world of gay bears - here's a rather funny number from the rather sexy Tom Goss:


Now I have never claimed to be a "bear fan", so let's feature something a little closer to my own taste - here's Dolores Delargo Towers' favourite houseboys, Kazaky, having a little (ahem!) trouble at the airport...


But finally, ladeez'n'germs, it's (another Henry discovery) the magnificently potty-mouthed French Maid (about whom there is little on the web) and an amazing soon-to-be-classic number Fuck Me If I'm Wrong. This is so catchy, I am going to be whistling/singing it all day...


As ever, enjoy! (And please let me know your thoughts...)

5 comments:

  1. Another fun selection from the Towers!

    As you already know, Kazaky, Army Of Lovers and the lovely French Maid are most welcomed in my house these days. That said, there was of course no reason for AOL to re-record "Crucified" - you can't top the original - but hey, it's Army Of Lovers! French Maid is a project by one of the guys from Aqua, as far as I know. Kazaky have released a few pretty bad songs, but also some good ones. "Touch Me" falls into the second category, IMO.

    I could not get through the Tom Goss thing, sorry. The ETML song did not capture me, although it's not bad. "At Wedge" is quite excellent however.

    Gabriella Cilmi. Hmmm. "Sweet About Me" just got on my nerves, "On A Mission" was all kinds of terrible and "Hearts Don't Lie" was pretty good. The new one: quite intriguing, I suspect I will love it after a couple of more listens.

    Finally: Lykke Li. That song was one of my anthems last summer (I featured it as SOTD last July at the Galaxy). I still love it, both the regular version and the remix. So much in fact that I think it's probably my favorite of this batch...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you appreciated some of the newer ones I found - I know I duplicated some of your own, but that just goes to show what similar taste we have.

      I had forgotten you posted Lykke Li last year. I guess I didn't actually listen to the remix, just the single version (and my verdict was her voice was flat, which I suppose it is). However, as happens so often, the right remix turns a so-so song into a classic - think "Missing" by EBTG or "Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop, to mention just two.

      By the way, the "At Wedge" video seems to be merely someone's footage of their surfing holiday, and just happens to use "Safe With You" as its soundtrack - it works, but don't ask me what a "Wedge" is...

      Jx

      Delete
    2. Yes, like I have said before: great minds think alike :)

      The right remix can totally make a song, and as much as I like the single version of the Lykke Li song, it was the remix that made me fall in love with it.

      Thank god that this was not an actual music video for "At Wedge" - I really like the song, but not that video!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]