Sunday 18 August 2013

Totty of the Day



The very lovely (and recently out-gay) Mika celebrates his 30th birthday today...









I always have had a soft (or is it hard?) spot for him.

My favourite Mika number is this, a song that always evokes thoughts of holidays - it's Relax...


Took a ride to the end of the line where no one ever goes
Ended up on a broken train with nobody I know
But the pain and the longing's the same when you're dying
Now I'm lost and I'm screaming for help alone

Relax, take it easy
For there is nothing that we can do
Relax, take it easy
Blame it on me or blame it on you

It's as if I'm scared
It's as if I'm terrified
It's as if I scared
It's as if I'm playing with fire
Scared
It's as if I'm terrified
Are you scared?
Are we playing with fire?

Relax, oh, there is an answer to the darkest times
It's clear we don't understand it
But the last thing on my mind is to leave you
I believe that we're in this together
Don't scream, there are so many roads left

Relax, take it easy
For there is nothing that we can do
Relax, take it easy
Blame it on me or blame it on you


Facts about Mika:
  • He was born Michael Holbrook Penniman, Jr. in Beirut, to a Lebanese mother and an American father.
  • As a child in Paris Mika was trained by Alla Ardakov (Ablaberdyeva), a Russian opera professional, and he has a vocal range of three to five octaves.
  • He was winner of the BBC's Sound of 2007 poll, and won the BRIT Award for Best British Breakthrough Artist in 2008.
  • After much prevarication about "labelling" his sexuality, he finally came out as a gay man in a magazine interview just over a year ago, in August 2012.

Mika (born 18 August 1983)

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Mika's first album and his second one had it's moments. However, everything since has been pretty much crap - except for the last single from his most recent album, the lovely "Underwater". Oh, and then of course he had a hand in writing "Gang Bang" on Madonna's latest album!

    Hope his next album will bring some good stuff. Happy birthday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do agree - I was singularly disappointed by all his output last year, but fingers crossed for a comeback... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]