Tuesday 25 March 2014

Help me understand



Timeslip moment again...

Is it really thirty years ago this week that a very youthful Depeche Mode entered the UK charts with this slice of brilliant "industrial electronica"? It's People Are People, of course:


Ah, the heady days of 1984.

People are people
So why should it be
You and I should get along so awfully

So we’re different colours
And we’re different creeds
And different people have different needs

It’s obvious you hate me
Though I’ve done nothing wrong
I’ve never even met you so what could I have done

I can’t understand
What makes a man
Hate another man
Help me understand

Help me understand

Now you’re punching
And you’re kicking
And you’re shouting at me
I’m relying on your common decency
So far it hasn’t surfaced
But I’m sure it exists
It just takes a while to travel
From your head to your fists


They should play this in Russia.

Depeche Mode

8 comments:

  1. I'm making the arrangement for them to tour Russia as we speak (featuring of course RuPaul and his excellent cover version).

    I really like 80's Depeche Mode, I like some of their 90s stuff but their albums after Exciter just haven't been that, erm, exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depeche Mode and RuPaul on the same stage? Intriguing... Jx

      Delete
  2. look at these fresh faced young lads! has it really been 30 years!? damn, I'm old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "The secret of genius is to carry the spirit of the child into old age, which means never losing your enthusiasm." - Aldous Huxley

      We never shall, dear! Jx

      Delete
  3. I did buy this on 7 inch single … 1984 is one of my favourite years for pop music

    No blog about Kate Bush?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As if - you obviously missed it! Jx

      PS 1984 is one of my faves, too, obviously - and I am featuring memories from that far-off time throughout this year.

      Delete
  4. the Kate Bush blog doesn't show up in my timeline : how odd

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Blogger is behaving very oddly lately - I am only getting email notifications a day after a comment is posted. The "reading list" is a bit like a Tumblr - you have to keep clicking the bar at the foot of the page to scroll down, and I think it cuts off after a certain point in time. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]