Sunday 2 March 2014

I guess it's just the story of my life



Remarkably, it is fifteen years since we lost our beloved Dusty Springfield...

By way of a brief tribute here is one of her later songs (with Pet Shop Boys on board, of course), and another favourite (among many) here at Dolores Delargo Towers:


Take your time and tell me
Where you lie
I realise
That we've been found out this time

We should stay together
If we can
But what you've planned
Means there's a difference between

What you're gonna say
In private
You still want my love
We're in this together
And what you're gonna do
In public
Say you were never in love
That you can't remember

So discreet
I never tried to meet
Your friends or interfere
I took a back seat between

And what you gonna say
In private?
You still want my love
We're in this together
And what you're gonna do
In public
Say you were never in love
That you can't remember

What you gonna say, ay
When you run back to your wife?
I guess it's just the story of my life
What you gonna say?

So take your time
And tell me
Where did you learn
Oh, I may publicise
That there's a difference between

What you're gonna say
In private?
You still want my love
We're in this together
And what you're gonna do
In public
Say you were never in love
That you can't remember

Tell me what you gonna say
In private?, ooh, ooh, ooh
What you gonna say?
What you gonna do?
Baby, what you gonna say?


RIP, my sweet.

Dusty Springfield OBE (born Mary Isobel Catherine Bernadette O'Brien, 16th April 1939 – 2nd March 1999)

4 comments:

  1. I could hardly believe it when I saw yesterday it has been 15 years. I remember it very well when I heard she had passed - she was, like Diana Ross, one of the very first voices I remember falling in love with as very young (2-3 years old) kid.

    "In Private" remains one of my many favorites from her. She really was one of a kind...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No matter what the hype, no-one ever will touch her - not Alison Moyet, not Duffy (whatever happened to her?), not Joss Stone (ditto), not the late Ms Winehouse, not Adele nor anyone else tipped as the next "White Soul Hope"...

      We miss Dusty. Jx

      Delete
  2. Whatever happened to Duffy indeed? She hates the whole "fame" thing and considered retirement from the business after her debut album. She did release another album in 2010 but announced afterwards that she was going to take an extended break from the music scene before a new album.

    I do like Duffy to a certain extent, Joss Stone is more of a Joss Who to me, Adele I can't stand, Amy had her moments and Miss Moyet I adore! But no, there will never be another Dusty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 15 Years o m g. There will never be another.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]