Sunday 6 April 2014

Forty years of satin and spandex















"In my honest opinion we looked like nuts in those years. Nobody can have been as badly dressed on stage as we were." - Björn Ulvaeus.

Today marks 40 years [how scary!] since Abba stormed the previously stuffy old Eurovision Song Contest (held in 1974 in the UK's gayest city, Brighton, aptly enough), and embarked on a world-conquering musical journey in the process. Suffice to say, nothing quite like them or their song Waterloo had ever been seen before...

I did do a tribute to Abba around the time of the 35th anniversary, so let us just play the music:


My, my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

My, my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only chance is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo

So how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose -

Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my Waterloo


Read more on the BBC

Abba official website

4 comments:

  1. Abba are often brushed off as "novelty pop" or something to that affect. The dreadful Mamma Mia musical/move has done nothing but add to that perception, but IMO Abba's musical output can not be denied. In just 10 years they released so many classic (and actually really good) songs that their impact can't be denied. Their albums are generally quite good - we have them all, and they got better with each new album. Their last output, The Visitors, may just be their best.

    This weeks sees the release of a deluxe edition of the Waterloo album, as well as a 3CD set version of Gold. A very cool 7" box set is on it's way, a photo book etc - there is still a lot of interest for Abba out there. I just hope there will never be another bloody musical - after suffering through that shit film (one of the very worst I have ever seen in my life!), I couldn't bear to hear Abba's music for a couple of years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you 100% about "The Vistors". A brilliant album.

      And I think everyone agrees that although Abba have certainly enjoyed their cult/camp status over the years, that particular show/movie just serves to cheapen their achievements rather than celebrate them... Jx

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. "Some of us get dipped in flat, some in satin, some in gloss; but every once in a while, you find someone who's iridescent, and once you do, nothing will ever compare." - Wendelin Van Draanen

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]