Sunday 9 November 2014

And the world will be better for this



Today is Remembrance Sunday, in the centenary year of the outbreak of The Great War. It is also a quarter of a century since another world-changing event: the fall of the Berlin Wall.

And here's today's birthday boy, the awe-inspiring Bryn Terfel, to sing a rather apposite number for today:


To dream the impossible dream
To fight the unbeatable foe
To bear with unbearable sorrow
To run where the brave dare not go

To right the unrightable wrong
To love pure and chaste from afar
To try when your arms are too weary
To reach the unreachable star

This is my quest
To follow that star
No matter how hopeless
No matter how far

To fight for the right
Without question or pause
To be willing to march into Hell
For a heavenly cause

And I know if I'll only be true
To this glorious quest
That my heart will lie peaceful and calm
When I'm laid to my rest

And the world will be better for this
That one man, scorned and covered with scars
Still strove with his last ounce of courage
To reach the unreachable star


Bryn Terfel Jones CBE (born 9th November 1965)

Lest we forget: read more about "the moat of poppies" at the Tower of London on my other half Madam Arcati's blog Random Jottings.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you dear.
    My visit to see the poppies at the Tower was last month so many more have been planted since then. Heart rending in its effect.

    Politicians need to think far more carefully before they enter into any conflict and be able to justify the loss of any life in there scheme.

    All those that died for their country ( of which ever country ) should be remembered.

    I have updated my post with a couple of photos from the web, today, 'Remembrance Sunday'

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]