Friday 27 February 2015

Tell me why is it so?



It's almost the finale to another (rather odd) week, dear reader - a week of awards ceremonies, Gays supporting Miners, Polari and Ancient Egypt (more to come on those LGBT History Month events in due course when I have a moment to myself, no doubt), and also a week when Google turned nasty with its outrageous "crack-down on adults".

The last bombshell has hit my favourite blog community hard. Anyone who has ever posted a nipple or a pair of bollocks is now threatened with "lock-down" (I wait and see if anything I've ever included will fail The Test), several have already made the switch to the unfamiliar world of Wordpress, and some are threatening to close down operations altogether in response to the announcement.

So it's with mixed feelings that I post this jolly number by the much-anticipated headliner for tomorrow's "Gala Parlour" end-of-History-Month Ball, Mr Jimmy Somerville (here with the Communards) - and Thank Disco It's Friday!


It's that same old dizzy hang-up
I can't do with you or without
Tell me why is it so?
I don't wanna let you go!

Hey, I never can say goodbye boy, ooh baby
I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, oo

Hey, I never can say goodbye boy, ooh baby
I never can say goodbye, no no no, no no no


Indeed.

13 comments:

  1. WordPress turns out not to be bad at all. All my old posts and smutty pictures moved over without a hitch and putting up a new post is identical to the Blogger process. The screen you work on looks just the same.

    Still, I resent Google's opposition to "adults." What does that say about their approach to their market.

    And my how I love this Sommerville song, so much better than the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am still thinking about the WP thing - I don't think I'm likely to be in the firing line over here, but you never know... And moving everything to a new list, informing subscribers, re-setting all those email feed alerts. Too, too much (for now).

      As for Jimmy, I hope he sings this one on stage at the Ball tomorrow! Jx

      Delete
  2. Ev'ry time I think I've had enough and start heading for the door
    There's a very strange vibration, piercing me right to the core
    It says turn around you fool you know you love BLOGGING more and more
    Tell me why is it so?

    In any case, if Wordpress is as easy as Peenee claims, I'll give it a whirl after the shop closes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That radio four's favourite gay vicar on the keyboards?

    I like to imagine r4 as staffed entirely by gay vicars, male and female

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Radio 4 would be far, far better without any vicars, gay or not gay, myself. I utterly loathe the fact that "Thought for the Day" (the views of people who believe in myths) is an unassailable feature in what otherwise is an entirely factual "Today" programme. And I used to respect Richard Coles until he put on that fucking stupid white dog-collar. Jx

      Delete
  4. Even better than the original - thank disco indeed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "There's a very strange vibration
      Piercing me right through the core"


      Aha - Henry's back! Jx

      Delete
  5. I don't know. I'm an atheist and I listen to the morning service whenever I can. It's part of public service broadcasting. And we ought to be grateful for public service broadcasting, BBC, Channel Four, PBS, National Public Radio, RTE, whatever form it takes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Each to their own, I suppose. Why an atheist would even want to listen to a sermon is beyond me. Jx

      Delete
  6. all videos now show up as blocked plug-in … I think it might be my settings (maybe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's your Flash (oo-er) player on your computer/phone/whatever. Jx

      Delete
  7. videos are showing again now - maybe it's updated itself … I never touched anyfink, honest guv x

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]