Saturday 9 May 2015

A dirty sense of humour











"To be a comic woman, you have to put up with quite a bit of banter. But I didn't mind. I've got a dirty sense of humour and I never found those things really offensive."

"I used to be very extravagant. Once, because I was appearing on The Kenneth Williams Show I went to Harvey Nicks and bought two outfits for £600 - which was a fortune in those days - and then took myself to the Hyde Park Hotel for tea."

"I was once mistaken for Shirley MacLaine in a fish-and-chip shop off the Edgware Road."


The marvellous Joan Sims would have been 85 today.

Apparently: [she] felt that the Carry On films had cast a shadow over her career, but she enjoyed the fame they brought her and liked to recall a cab driver who spent an entire journey talking wistfully about other Carry On stars. As she got out and was walking to her door he called out, "Shame you're all dead, innit?"

Shame, indeed. Only Babs Windsor and Jim Dale are left (from the "core" team), I believe...




Irene Joan Marion Sims (9th May 1930 – 27th June 2001)

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]