Sunday 10 May 2015

A word from our sponsor...



...and an appropriate one, methinks, given the massive remembrance events that have been going on all this weekend to mark VE Day.

Seventy years ago, Britain and its allies were celebrating the defeat of Hitler and a long-awaited return to peace in Europe.



Unfortunately the lovely Al Bowlly - one of the great voices of the pre-war and wartime era, arguably Britain's first "pop star" in that "Big Band crooner" style - was yet another of the casualties of the great conflict. He was killed in an air raid on London in April 1941.

Mr Bowlly leaves a lasting legacy of beautifully-crafted and orchestrated songs - including this one from 1934, a song that very much suits the mood this sunny Sunday:


The very thought of you
And I forget to do
Those little ordinary things
That everyone ought to do

I'm living in a kind of a daydream
I'm happy as a king
And foolish though it may seem
To me, that's everything

The mere idea of you
The longing here for you
You'll never know
How slow the moments go
Till I'm near to you

I see your face in every flower
Your eyes in stars above
It's just the thought of you
The very thought of you, my love

I see your face in every flower
Your eyes in stars above
It's just the thought of you
The very thought of you, my love


Al Bowlly on Wikipedia.

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]