Monday 18 April 2016

First you push it up here, pull it down there



As the Victoria and Albert Museum (V&A) unclothes [see what I did there?] its new exhibition all about the history of underwear, so I thought that on this Tacky Music Monday I should seek out an appropriate song.

Here is, of course, the irrepressible Carol Channing (with Ginger Rogers) with their tribute to the garment:


However, as that clip is such poor quality, here's a corset-themed slideshow to accompany the same song, this time by Fran Warren...


Now, a corset can do a lot for a lady
Especially when a lady's got a lot
And a lady can do a lot for that cor-set
By filling in the bottom and top.

First you push it up here
Pull it down there
Tighten up the middle
Till you're gasping for air

Oh, a corset can do a lot for a lady
'Cos it helps to show a man what she's got


Indeed.

Undressed: A Brief History of Underwear is on at the V&A until Sunday, 12th March 2017

2 comments:

  1. it was always a short drive to worcester & my new appliance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Ladies are requested to send for an illustrated catalogue" - if you had heeded their advice that would have saved the journey. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]