Saturday 20 May 2017

Like takin' candy from a baby



Despite thunder, torrential rain and gales I have still been pottering in the garden all day (in the greenhouse when it got really bad) - and despite everything the weather can throw at it, I have to admit our beds, pots, troughs and baskets are all looking very lovely indeed!

A particular stunner at the moment is a relatively recent acquisition - the wonderfully exotic Scilla peruviana [pictured above]. Also known as the Portuguese squill, this lovely multi-flowered fire-cracker of blue stars is actually a Mediterranean native, and is closely related to the humble bluebell and to several early Spring bulbs such as hyacinths and our fave Chionodoxa.

And speaking of "Cilla", here is the lady herself (who would have been 74 next week), with a venture into Motown territory...


"It's a lorra, lorra laughs!"

Hope tomorrow's weather is a bit better.

4 comments:

  1. Stunning dear!!!!! Were the Portuguese squill's cultivated for a lovely fascinator to Pippa's wedding? If so, I guessing who won the fashion show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had my invitation not been "lost in the post", I would definitely have worn this as a hat! Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh, gods! Seeing your Scilla has reminded me that I have/had a Camassia right where all that spurge is! I must go and see if it's still there...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have them too, but ours are so weedy and short that they come and go in amongst the rest of the undergrowth without making much of an impact. Wrong plant, wrong place methinks. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]