Saturday 13 January 2018

Blunderwoman blunders off



“Russ said he was looking for a fat woman who could keep a straight face. That was fine by me.”

And so, farewell to the eternal "straight woman" in some of the UK's most popular prime-time comedy shows, including those of Benny Hill, Les Dennis, Dick Emery and Lily Savage. But is for her hysterical roles alongside Russ Abbot in his Madhouse that she is best remembered - including her most famous character "Blunderwoman".



Despite regularly attracting viewing figures in the multi-millions, their style of slapstick comedy was destined to be somewhat sidelined by the time the "cool" 1980s drew to a close, in favour of a more "knowing" brand of humour as espoused by the likes of Ben Elton, French & Saunders and Victoria Wood. But simple pleasures like this sketch still raise a chuckle today this day...


RIP Bella Emberg (born Sybil Dyke, 16th September 1937 – 12th January 2018)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, no! Blunderwoman was my favourite 80s comedy character! And my favourite insult towards my clumsy oaf of a sister!

    Rest in peace, Bella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's always good to have a "bogey-man" or woman with which to torment a sister :-)

      Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]