Sunday 2 December 2018

I make the goddam rules







"When music fails to agree to the ear, to soothe the ear and the heart and the senses, then it has missed the point."

"You are born an artist or you are not. And you stay an artist, dear, even if your voice is less of a fireworks. The artist is always there."

"I would not kill my enemies, but I will make them get down on their knees. I will, I can, I must."

"Don't talk to me about rules, dear. Wherever I stay I make the goddam rules."


It's been a very laid-back Sunday here at Dolores Delargo Towers (as it should be) - with so little daylight, it is difficult to really get a huge amount done.

So instead, let us put our feet up and wallow in the musical splendour of "La Divina" herself, Maria Callas, whose 95th birthday it would have been today...


Utter perfection. Sigh.

Maria Callas (2nd December 1923 – 16th September 1977)

More Maria Callas here and here.

6 comments:

  1. Ah, yes, the composite performer. Just yesterday, I played her "Casta Diva" With headphones, it helped to dispel the yappy dog noises...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't remember there being any yappy dog noises on her version from La Scala Milan. Jx

      Delete
    2. I am surrounded by them here!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]