A great time was had by all at our Film Club gathering yesterday! Between the nine of us, we brought far too much food as usual for the "picnic-substitute" buffet, but kept The Perseverance bar going strong - at times our gang upstairs in the function room were practically the only customers they had, but we're all pretty good session drinkers...
And the films on offer were both unexpectedly superb, too! First up was one I've wanted to see for ages - the autobiographic portrayal of the often-traumatic rise to fame of "national treasure" Robbie Williams, formerly of Take That:
I certainly wasn't expecting it to be as brilliantly done, nor quite such an emotional rollercoaster, as it was!
Our second film was one I had very little knowledge or expectation of. Described by critics as "Downton Abbey meets The Naked Gun," we were all pleasantly surprised - it was utterly hilarious!
Just what the doctor ordered.
Despite the fact that it is a Bank Holiday, I haven't forgotten that it is a Tacky Music Monday - so how about the very brief-but-faboo "musical soiree" from that very movie?
Have a good week, dear reader - dodge the showers...
ReplyDeleteA sort of Noel Coward meets Max Miller offering. Yes I spluttered my coffee...
It came as just as much of a surprise to us while we were watching it yesterday, too! Jx
DeleteSince I only just arose about two hours ago after a late night of libations... and fairly packed, I'm enjoying the day. Both look like good viewing, although I'd enjoy the second more....the monkey, while I get what they were going for, might wear on me after a bit. But I'd watch both.
ReplyDeleteBecause Robbie's story is so engaging, the fact he's portrayed as a chimp soon disappears into the background, surprisingly enough. I recommend both films wholeheartedly! Jx
Delete