Saturday 5 November 2016

It's not the way you have your hair



I have long been a fan/follower of the peerless Hair Hall of Fame blog, but one man's utterly outlandish hairstyle must rank as the most memorable of all time...

Mr Mike Score (for it is he - celebrating his 59th birthday today) and his band A Flock of Seagulls were known here in their native UK as archetypal "one-hit wonders". Eclipsed as they were by myriad hugely successful artists of that "New Romantic"/electronic era such as OMD, Human League, Depeche Mode, Eurythmics, Duran Duran, Soft Cell and Ultravox, they only achieved one Top Ten hit in their entire career. However, they were embraced by America (late to the party, as usual) - alongside other British "New Wave-rs" whose domestic success was negligible such as Psychedelic Furs, Billy Idol and Thomas Dolby - in the early '80s heyday of MTV and the "Second British Invasion". The band (or at least a version of it put together by Mr Post) is apparently still performing to this day.

And here is that hit - Wishing (If I Had a Photograph of You):


It's not the way you look
It's not the way that you smile
Although there's something to them
It's not the way you have your hair

It's not that certain smile
It could be that with you

If I had a photograph of you
It's something to remind me
I wouldn't spend my life just wishing
It's not the make up and it's not the way that you dance

It's not the evening sky
It's more the way your eyes are laughing as they glance
Across the great divide

If I had a photograph of you
It's something to remind me

I wouldn't spend my life just wishing
It's not the things you say
it's not the things you do

It must be something more
And if I feel this way for so long

Tell me
Is it all for nothing
just don't walk out the door
If I had a photograph of you
It's something to remind me

I wouldn't spend my life just wishing

6 comments:

  1. Oh dear. We seem to have overlooked Mike Score's contribution to The Hair Hall of Fame.

    *scribbles note in margins to right this wrong*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Score's legacy reaches the parts other Presidential candidates cannot reach. Jx

      Delete
  2. No siree. She's a hair hopper, that's what she is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I iron my hair. Dig?"

      Jx

      Delete
    2. OMG! Look at that hair...It's the final piece of the puzzle of where Donald Trump got the inspiration for his coiffure!

      Delete
    3. Trump got the bits that Mr Score combed out... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]