Friday 20 March 2009

Was HE worth it?



Ten years ago the charts in the UK were a very gay place indeed... I was still living in Plymouth, and one of my "jobs" was to help out the managers of that city's gay bar. Not only did I write a database for their accounts, but I also updated their "Top Ten" jukebox every week. And the hits around at the time certainly were crowd-pleasers!

I was overjoyed to be able to fill the machine with such fluff as The Vengaboys, Steps, 'N Sync (before Justin Trousersnake became an annoying pseudo-R'nB artist, when he was still just an annoyingly chirpy boy-bander) and even B*Witched (what was it with this bizarre spelling of band names?) - all gay, gay, gay (in the homosexualist manner)!

Britney had arrived (with her chicken-heavy first video), Madge was back doing pop rather than sleaze, Whitney was still sober and had stopped releasing wibbly power-ballads, and every dance number appeared to be remixed by Club 69, Almighty and Todd Terry...

But there was one artist who really seemed to embrace this queeny agenda in early 1999. Making her comeback in a shower of glitter, sequins and feathers, with a coterie of the campest gay sing-a-long numbers since the heady days of Hi-NRG and its successor genre "Handbag" - none other than Cher!


[The male lyrics version, of course...]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]