Saturday 12 December 2009

Sweet Melody



I was recently alerted to a new talent on the music scene, and what a talent!

Melody Gardot is a young jazz singer from Pennsylvania, and the circumstances by which she came to prominence are indeed unusual. Following a catastrophic road accident which left her nervous system severely damaged, Miss Gardot created music while semi-paralysed in her hospital bed.

When these recordings came to the attention of the local university radio station, they went into publicity overdrive, and she soon landed a record deal. Her first album Worrisome Heart was hugely successful in the US jazz charts, and earlier this year - with the able assistance of musical arranger Vince Mendoza, who has worked with Robbie Williams, Björk, Elvis Costello, and Joni Mitchell - she released a brilliant second album My One and Only Thrill.

Here are two fabulous tracks from that album. Her voice, and the orchestral arrangements, are sublime! Enjoy...



Melody Gardot on MySpace

2 comments:

  1. Sublime is an understatement. I hate it when I miss such greatness. Where the hell was I in 2009??? Oh yeah, my partner had just passed away....

    xo
    -Jon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have my deepest sympathies, my dear - I feel the same about 1996. Melody's music is timeless, and I am sure that re-discovering her has brought some beauty back into your life. Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]