Friday 13 May 2016

Just a...



Born on this ostensibly unlucky-for-some day were such luminaries as Daphne du Maurier, Stevie Wonder, Patron Saint Bea Arthur, the utterly wonderful Frances Barber, Armistead Maupin, Selina Scott, Ritchie Valens, inventor Trevor Baylis, Tim Pigott-Smith [who I once stood next to at an urinal, but that's another story], Harvey Keitel, rock'n'roller Joe Brown, Zoe Wanamaker, the uber-cool Alison Goldfrapp... and this lady.

We all know the lovely Mary Wells as the girly singer of early Motown hits such as My Guy and The One Who Really Loves You, but, unbeknownst to moi, apparently much later on she re-emerged as a bit of a Disco Diva.

Here she is singing the "club classic" Gigolo (complete with an appropriate video montage from Richard Gere's American Gigolo).
[2022 UPDATE: Gone from the interwebs - so here's the audio instead]:


Mary Esther Wells (13th May 1943 – 26th July 1992)

Thank Disco It's Friday (the Thirteenth - oo-er)!

2 comments:

  1. I have heard that Mary did dabbler in disco a bit. Happy Friday Jon! Friday the 13th for me have always been terrific days. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in the midst of party planning for tomorrow's Eurovision bash, so hardly a disastrous day so far... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]