Tuesday 15 March 2016

Make my craziest dream come true



It's my first day back after a long, boozy party weekend for Lou's birthday - we didn't get home till 1 o'clock this morning, so I am understandably feeling somewhat less-than-sparkling.

However, we do have a centenary to celebrate; that of the brilliant trumpeter and bandleader Mr Harry James!

All's well with the world when we have an excuse to play some Big Band music. How about this one?

With the estimable tonsils of Miss Helen Forrest, here's Harry and the band and I Had the Craziest Dream:


In a dream the strangest and the oddest things appear
And what insane and silly things we do
Here is what I see before me, vividly and clear
As I recall it, you were in it, too

I had the craziest dream last night, yes I did
I never dreamt it could be
Yet there you were, in love with me
I found your lips close to mine so I kissed you
And you didn't mind it at all
When I'm awake such a break never happens
How long can a gal go on dreaming?

If there's a chance that you care
Then, please, say you do, Baby
Say it and make my craziest dream come true.


That's better...

Facts:
  • Harry's parents were circus performers - mother was an an acrobat and horseback rider.
  • He got his big break in 1937-8 when he joined Benny Goodman's orchestra.
  • His was the first "name band" to employ vocalist Frank Sinatra (who then promptly left to join Tommy Dorsey).
  • It is Harry's playing that is heard in Young Man With A Horn, dubbing for Kirk Douglas; and his band provided the backing for Miss Doris Day on the soundtrack album.
  • Famously, he married actress Betty Grable.
  • He released over 200 singles during his five-decade career, as well as 29 studio albums and numerous live recordings and guest appearances.
  • To this day the Harry James Orchestra still exists, now led by Fred Radke.

Harry Haag James (15th March 1916 - 5th July 1983)

2 comments:

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]