Thursday 12 February 2015

Once in a Lifetime, indeed



David Byrne, the award-winning musician known for his eclectic collaborations and as co-founder of Talking Heads, will curate the 22nd Meltdown Festival at London's Southbank Centre this August - following in the wake of such luminaries as Jarvis Cocker, Patti Smith, David Bowie, Yoko Ono, Ray Davies and Antony Hegarty.

As well as being the creative force behind Talking Heads, Mr Byrne has forged a hugely successful solo career, collaborating with a range of artists that include Brian Eno, Morcheeba, Fatboy Slim, Paul Simon, Thievery Corporation, Arcade Fire and Anna Calvi.

Of the appointment, he said:
"This is going to be exciting! I plan to invite performers I've seen - and I do get out - and others I've missed or have dreamed of seeing. It's going to be a bit of fun puzzle solving I imagine - seeing who's interested, who is available and what venues at Southbank Centre are appropriate. I really hope to find things that take this beyond sit-down concerts as well - but of course I'm speaking way too early as I'm still working on my wish list."

It is far too soon to predict who might be on the bill but, as always, we have high hopes.

And, just because... Here's my favourite Talking Heads track, for your delectation:


The Meltdown Festival is at the Southbank Centre from Monday 17th August to Friday 28th August 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]