Tuesday 30 April 2013

Several Queens and a King



It is a momentous day for our dear chums in Holland, as their Old Queen Beatrix steps down in favour of her son Willem-Alexander, who becomes the first King of the Netherlands since 1890.

We recently booked a well-overdue long weekend in Amsterdam - probably my 36th visit to my most beloved city - for my 50th (oo-er) birthday in August, and a whole host of friends will be coming over to join me to toast this auspicious occasion!

To mark this very Dutch day, here is another favourite old Dutch queen (whose own birthday it was yesterday), Gerard Joling - of "De Toppers" fame notoriety - duetting with the obviously straight (ha ha) Jan Smit, on a typically cheerful number that wouldn't sound out of place in the Eurovision Song Contest, Echte Vrienden [Real Friends].


Love it.

Read more about the inauguration of King Willem-Alexander

God red de Koning!

2 comments:

  1. Oh dear - the Dutch truly are in a league of their own when it comes to tacky music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a certain penchant for tackiness - mind you, the Italians and the Spanish have produced some corkers over the years! Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]