Saturday 1 September 2007

Men with dirty fingers

Just watched the 40th Anniversary of Gardeners' World on BBC replay. What a fabulous programme, one I have watched avidly for many years...

It is quite amazing what a huge impact the show has had over the years - one of the earliest colour broadcasts on the BBC, a regular audience of millions every week for four decades, and a constant supply of no-nonsense horticultural advice that has fed the nation's obsession with gardening and even dictated a number of trends, such as the move towards organic gardening.


Monty Don

And (surprisingly) Gardener's World provides another fascination - a regular supply of rugged totty! Now I am sure that no-one would possibly have moistened their pants over the likes of Percy Thrower or Peter Seabrook, but among the more recent crop of presenters there have been a few who have provided a bit of a tingle for many. The late great Geoff Hamilton had his fans, as have Alan Titchmarsh, Joe Swift, Andy Sturgeon - and I have to admit that Monty Don has masses of sex appeal, in a big-handed earthy sort of way.



But my all-time favourite is the gorgeous Chris Beardshaw. With his cheeky-chappy smile and his well-filled tight jeans, he could take me behind the potting sheds, whip out his dibber and show me the art of propagation any day!

And I'm not alone...

Happy 40th birthday Gardeners' World - long may this comforting, visually beautiful half hour of relaxation on a Friday evening continue!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]