Thursday 29 November 2018

More suspect meat than a late-night kebab



It is rare these days that I actually laugh out loud at a theatrical review in a newspaper - but the piece by Sharon Lougher in today's Metro was a good 'un:
‘ARE YOU ready to get more suspect meat than a late-night kebab?’ is the clarion call that comes (sorry) at the start of Magic Mike Live.

‘Whoooooooo!’ came (again, sorry) the inevitable response from a tanked-up, oestrogen-rich Tuesday night crowd, who were about to witness a Loose Woman’s wet dream.

Theatre, this ain’t. Neither is it, in terms of plot, the live version of Magic Mike the film, starring Channing Tatum, who produces and directs here.

Instead, Magic Mike Live, which sold out its first dates in double-quick time, is unapologetically just a strip show. But it is one that comes (oh I give up) with high production values. In a specially converted space inside the Hippodrome, men with five-star abs (they’re rock-solid, which I know, because I touched them - it’s allowed) and six-star eye contact (aaargh) dance, grind, play instruments and do aerial acrobatics either above you, around you, on stage or in your face.

If you’re not tactile and really don’t want a stranger thrusting his crotch at you on a school night there is a safe word: unicorn. A more useful instruction for such people might be ‘try Antony & Cleopatra at the National’.
Ha!

And, loathe as I am to feature gratuitous objectification of male flesh...


Cover me in honey, and just throw me in!

4 comments:

  1. Post-Modern safety gays for a new millennium? Looks like they took the old saying "ditch the b*tch and make the switch" to heart. Poor Channing, so many choices......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect he - ahem - hand-picked these boys. And now he's apparently "dating" Jessie J - a woman who is more man than I'll ever be. Confused? You will be... Jx

      Delete
  2. Gosh the Hippodrome has changed a lot since the 'Talk of the town' days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps - but, according to Wikipedia: "from 1949 to 1951 it was the London equivalent of the Folies Bergère." So, similar... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]