Saturday, 8 August 2026

Fascinating rhythm locked me on the groove

Sad news today that the music production genius William Orbit has departed - far too soon, aged just 69 - for the "Ambient Trance Party Lounge" in Fabulon...

His "sound" was unmistakeable - and he gave a boost to the careers of several of our most cherished artists, not least Queen Madge. Here's a selection of faves here at Dolores Delargo Towers, by way of a tribute to his talent!

A fantabulosa legacy!

RIP, Mr Orbit.

10 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Reading his obituaries, it sounds like he was a workaholic and a perfectionist in the studio, but once he had "made the big time" after Madge and All Saints' successes, he was so "in demand" that the pressure got to him - he was sectioned at one stage after a breakdown, poor thing.

      But what brilliant results he gave the world..! Jx

      Delete
  2. A fabulous selection, Jon - faves of mine, too. RIP William Orbit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 1990s - despite the fact that at the time, I felt it paled in comparison to my own era the 1980s - actually produced loads and loads of timeless classics.

      Mr Orbit (like his British peers Fatboy Slim, Basement Jaxx, et al) was pivotal to that brilliantly creative generation! Jx

      Delete
  3. I love Pure Shores, and Frozen. Sad news indeed.
    You’re right about the 80’s and 90’s - I felt the same way at the time, but now I think I prefer the 90s.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say prefer [most people's favourite musical era is the one that coincided with their blossoming into adulthood, and for me that was the early-to-mid 80s] - but I now appreciate some of the 90s stuff I ignored at the time.

      I didn't ignore Mr Orbit's productions, of course - they were all firm faves at the time, and firm faves today... Jx

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. I could have gone on and on, just with tracks from the brilliant Ray of Light album alone, but I thought four tracks would suffice as a tribute. He was so bloody talented! Jx

      Delete
  5. Not sure if you're home or away, but here's something to cool you down https://jury.co.nz/2026/08/09/bits-and-bobs-on-a-winters-day/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To paraphrase a comment from Mr DeVice on your recent post, the concept of heavy frost in August is a bit of a mindfuck - but thankfully, "Narcissi fly" seems to be something we have not experienced here. Nor would we ever get "Gloriosa" growing giant tubers [I tried them once; they were a pitiful disaster and never even sprouted] , nor a "small-flowered Camellia" grown as a hedge. Different worlds... Jx

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]