Friday 3 June 2011

A duet made in heaven?



I stumbled across this photo from the archives, and it (of course) set the wheels of my warped imagination running...

One can but wonder what glittering occasion brought Dolly Parton and Diana Ross together for a photo opportunity without hair-pulling and scratching!

Connections between the two divas are few and far between, except:
  • Dolly Parton and Kenny Rogers' duet Islands In The Stream was written by the BeeGees, as was Chain Reaction by Diana Ross.
  • Dolly (with Julio Iglesias) recorded a successful cover of Diana's hit When You Tell Me That You Love Me.
  • Both ladies - with their torch songs, spangly frocks, big wigs and on-and-off-stage histrionics - are much-loved gay icons, and favourite targets for drag queen impressionists.

Not least this one...

The one (perverse) connection that I make between the two is courtesy of that stalwart of drag from my earliest days on the scene (still going strong today) - Miss Lizzy Drip!



Happy weekend everybody!

http://www.lizzydrip.com/

7 comments:

  1. I have been completely obsessed with Miss Ross in the last couple of months - I am currently buying her complete back catalog. A lot of her stuff (especially her 70s recordings) seem vastly underrated...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Lizzy Drip for ages and ages …

    I do like both Dolly & Miss Ross and another connection for them both is that after seeing them live, as much as I enjoyed their shows I didn't feel the desire to see them live again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher and Sade were the same - once was enough.

    Gay dear, me dear - very possibly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Diana, Dolly, Cher, Kylie, Cyndi, Sade and Lizzy - you'd never guess! Jx

    ReplyDelete
  5. "One can but wonder what glittering occasion brought Dolly Parton and Diana Ross together for a photo opportunity without hair-pulling and scratching!"

    Fear of accidentally knocking their own wigs off??

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are so close in that pic that I'm surprised there aren't sparks flying off tha nylon! Jx

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]