Saturday 23 February 2013

When my chance came to be king





I'm having a bit of a slow start today after the fantabulosa Big Bang Ball last night. Here's something soothing.

Today the one-time "Most Beautiful Man In The World" David Sylvian of Japan fame celebrates his 55th birthday [gulp!].

This magnificent number Ghosts remains the song for which he will most be remembered - and I adore it.


When the room is quiet
The daylight almost gone
It seems there's something I should know
Well I ought to leave but the rain it never stops
And I've no particular place to go

Just when I think I'm winning
When I've broken every door
The ghosts of my life blow wilder than before
Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life blew wilder than the wind

Well I'm feeling nervous
Now I find myself alone
The simple life's no longer there
Once I was so sure
Now the doubt inside my mind
Comes and goes but leads nowhere

Just when I think I'm winning
When I've broken every door
The ghosts of my life blow wilder than before
Just when I thought I could not be stopped
When my chance came to be king
The ghosts of my life blew wilder than the wind


Mr Sylvian, after Japan split up, carved himself a bit of a niche in arty circles, famously collaborating with the likes of Ryuichi Sakamoto, Holger Czukay, Robert Fripp and Talvin Singh. He was due to tour again last year, but this was cancelled due to his ill-health. David's latest "experimental" album in collaboration with Stephan Mathieu, Wandermüde was released at the end of January 2013.

David Sylvian (born David Alan Batt, 23rd February 1958)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]