Did you miss me, dear reader?
Apologies for my uncustomary absence for the last couple of days. A "slight medical emergency" of the most annoying kind...
We were having a fun time at our friends Jim & Jude's home on Saturday night (they're lovely people, and perfect hosts), when it was time for the BBQ main course, steak with all the trimmings. Smelt delicious, looked delicious, I took my first bite, swallowed, and it got stuck. Fast. Not going up [I tried all that], and definitely not going down [nothing would pass it, no liquids - even saliva immediately came back up]. Dammit.
I spent the rest of the evening on their patio, spluttering and hoping it might eventually shift. It didn't. Nor did it shift overnight after we got home. Finally, yesterday morning at around 10.30am I decided - it's off to A&E after all...
Knowing those places are tantamount to one of Dante's Gates of Hell, I'm glad we didn't head there on a Saturday night. Sundays, it seems, are relatively quieter. Of course, even with a "fast-track" ticket, everything takes forever, and it wasn't until 4pm that we were transferred with great fanfare [literally: blue-light flashing, traffic parting, the lot! How exciting!] to another hospital further out that specialises in ear, nose and throat. It's at this point that we should all say "gawd bless the NHS" [it's all free], but FFS! Why different hospital trusts are completely incapable of corresponding with each other is a pain in the arse. Thus (apart from bloods), I had to go through a load of procedures (x-ray etc) I had already had done at the other place. Waiting around to get all that sorted wasted another few long hours [hospitals are not the sort of place anyone in their right mind wants to be longer than they need to], before I finally got to the point where an operation was possible - and went in for anaesthesia at 10pm! Ironically, the whole op only took the team half-an-hour to complete, before they bedded me down in the recovery room overnight and poor Madam Arcati - who had also not eaten all day - went home.
Suffice to say, now I'm finally out and back home again, I'm feeling a lot better. I shan't be eating steak ever again in my life..!
MEANWHILE:
We need something to make us smile on this Tacky Music Monday - and really, only today's birthday girl Mrs Miller will do on an occasion like this!
An uncanny knack for landing squarely between the beat - read my post about her from back in 2017 for more [if you dare]!
Have a good week, dear reader.
Omg!!!!!!! Like me dear...YOUR the last person I'd suspect of choking on a piece of meat!!!!!
ReplyDeleteJokes aside I'm glad to hear your on the mend and doing better. That can be very scary. Not a good feeling.And to deal with a patient first type center is often a better alternative then a ER.
Sooooooo does this now mean no more South American mens?
I would never have choked if it had been that kind of meat, that's for sure.
DeleteYes, I am on the mend, but slightly bruised and battered by it all, understandably. I was already planning tomorrow off work, as I seriously need to recover without all that crap - and now I have a follow-up appointment for a CT scan at the first hospital on Wednesday, so the office is just going to have to cope without me. Bless them. Jx
Oh hell the office is bound to fall apart without you...they will however muddle through somehow. Hope all goes well dear.
DeleteIf management didn't treat our team with such little respect that we're permanently under-staffed, then I'm sure they wouldn't panic so much whenever someone's off. I can't imagine that the Executive Assistants team ever has such problems. Directors are always so more important... Fingers crossed for a lottery win - and I'd never see any of them again in my life! Jx
DeleteOh my god. That must have been frightening and finally so uncomfortable. For hours. I’m glad it didn’t block your breathing passage. Yeah, that would put me off steak, too. I imagine you’re throat is quite sore today. I hope your recovery is quick. I would have thought nothing could get stuck in your throat. It’s magic.
ReplyDeleteIt certainly wasn't the most pleasant experience of my life - and yes, it could have been so much worse! I'm on soup for a while, methinks...
DeleteJx