Tuesday 16 March 2010

Poor Eve! Poor Eve!



We happened to catch a repeat of one of my all-time favourite films tonight on Film Four - All About Eve, starring the incomparable Bette Davis, the smarmily brilliant George Sanders and the sinister Anne Baxter (with able support from the future Mr Bette Davis Gary Merrill, plus Celeste Holm, Hugh Marlowe, Thelma Ritter and even Marilyn Monroe). What a joy!

We were reciting the lines, booing and cheering all the way through. How camp! But when you have lines like these what else can you do?

Margo Channing:
  • "I detest cheap sentiment."
  • "Fasten your seatbelts, it's going to be a bumpy night!"
  • "Nice speech, Eve. But I wouldn't worry too much about your heart. You can always put that award where your heart ought to be."
  • "I'll admit I may have seen better days, but I'm still not to be had for the price of a cocktail, like a salted peanut."
  • "The only thing I ordered by mistake is the guests. They're domestic, too, and they don't care what they drink as long as it burns!"
Addison DeWitt:
  • "Is it possible, is it even conceivable, that you've confused me with that gang of backward children you play tricks on?"
  • "Look closely, Eve. It's time you did. I am Addison DeWitt. I am nobody's fool, least of all yours."
Sublime....

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]