Monday 22 March 2010

People who like Sondheim!



And so, dear friends, it is time to celebrate the 80th birthday today of the world's greatest living musical writer and all-round genius, Mr Stephen Sondheim!

I have espoused my admiration of the great man and his work many, many times (including on the occasion of his birthday two years ago), but there is always room for a little more adulation where Mr Sondheim is concerned.

Indeed, the WhatsOnStage website has (understandably I guess) gone quite overboard, and tributes are popping up everywhere.

We are trying to gather ourselves together to see the current Jermyn Street Theatre production of Anyone Can Whistle (cashflow problems permitting), and we are already booked to see Into The Woods this summer the Regents Park Open Air Theatre. This autumn, the man himself is due to appear in a special "in conversation" event in London, which will be an absolute must.



We treasure our Sondheim autograph (which I had framed for Madame Acarti's 50th last year), and our collection of his works on vinyl and CD.

However, maybe it is appropriate on this day to post just a gentle piss-take... And who better to undertake such iconoclasm than the superbly talented Kit and the Widow? I love this pair!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]