Wednesday 30 January 2019

You know you're getting old when...



...you find out that the pixie-like, spiky-haired little cutie from Kajagoogoo Limahl is sixty years of age!




But how did this sudden revelation come to pass? It's not the former pin-up's birthday (that was in December). He's not been in the news. No, indeed, but I think I may have unleashed a bit of a monster - the lovely Miss Scarlet, hip'n'happening sistah that she is, has taken to calling it a "meme" (whatever that is) and given it a hashtag-thingie #adecadeago - as I have recently been exploring the things I was chuntering on about ten years ago on this very blog.

Just yesterday I "rediscovered" those slapping sissies. Returning today to January 2009, I also found a post I did about Mr Hamill's 50th.

So, by way of a (rather belated) celebration, here are a few clips of the man himself in his prime...




Oh! The fantasies I had about that boy...

Felicitations, Christopher Hamill aka Limahl (born 19th December 1958)!

9 comments:

  1. Ooh I loved the film never ending story as a child. My brother used to work in a disabled home in Norwich and we used to go round to watch videos in his staff flat. (usually Dr Who.)

    I can't remember anything about it now except the hero being scared to jump into the swimming pool at the start, the fluffy dragon thing (where else do you get a fluffy dragon?) and obviously the theme tune

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never Ending Story was the first film I reviewed for my Journalism course, and, as I recall, I got good marks for the piece I did. Some films never leave you. Jx

      Delete
    2. I think we found it inspiring.... That theme tune seemed to go on for hours though. I suppose they had a lot of people to credit though

      Delete
    3. The theme song was sang by Limahl and Beth Anderson and produced by Giorgio Moroder.
      Noah Hathaway who played the hot Atreyu, is now 50! That scene were Atriax haunted a generation and the film stands today as an absolute classic. What that kid went through to make that movie. Noah broke his back after the horse he was training on bolted and took off with him on its back, it fell on him crushing his vertebrae and to this day still has back problems.

      Delete
    4. Jeez! I never knew any of that. Thanks, FeeFer, and welcome to Dolores Delargo Towers! Jx

      Delete
  2. Oh my goodness! I'm pleased to see that Limahl is still older than me!
    I must run with this meme, and perhaps write a post myself..... I was planning to do something today.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And ever will be...

      I look forward to reading about what you were doing ten years ago, Miss Scarlet! Jx

      Delete
  3. I am still not sure if I understand what a meme is.

    I am am that Limahl will be pleased to know that he is the same age as me.

    He would also be pleased that he always looked younger than me and probably still does

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to Wikipedia: "The word meme is a neologism coined by Richard Dawkins. It originated from Dawkins' 1976 book The Selfish Gene." It is a shortening of mimeme (from Ancient Greek mīmēma, "imitated thing", from mimeisthai, "to imitate", from mimos, "mime"). So now you know...

      Jx

      PS Limahl looks a bit better for his age than Howard Jones - see this pic of the two of them together!

      Delete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]