Sunday 27 January 2019

All the seasons and the times of your days





Another legendary composer has departed for Fabulon - the sublimely talented Michel Legrand, Oscar-winning composer of the music for The Thomas Crown Affair, Yentl and Summer of 42, and the genius whose scores made such French-language films as The Umbrellas of Cherbourg and The Young Girls of Rochefort huge international hits.


Jacques Demy, Agnès Varda, Michel Legrand, and Catherine Deneuve on the set of The Young Girls Of Rochefort

Over the years he collaborated with a glittering array of stars including Sacha Distel, Caterina Valente, Petula Clark, Miles Davis, Catherine Deneuve, Dame Shirl, Yves Montand, Edith Piaf, Nana Mouskouri, Ray Charles and Frank Sinatra. Along the way, he wrote numerous songs that became cherished standards, performed by a wide range of singers. Here's just a few of them:







Michel Legrand working with Barbara Streisand and the Bergmans on Yentl in 1983

Alongside writers Alan and Marilyn Bergman, he had a particular and long-standing affinity with Barbra Streisand.




What are you doing the rest of your life?
North and south and east and west of your life
I have only one request of your life
That you spend it all with me

All the seasons and the times of your days
All the nickels and the dimes of your days
Let the reasons and the rhymes of your days
All begin and end with me

I want to see your face
In every kind of light
In fields of dawn
And forests of the night

And when you stand before the candles on the cake
Oh, let me be the one to hear the silent wish you make

Those tomorrow's waiting deep in your eyes
And the world of love you keep in your eyes
I'll awaken what's asleep in your eyes
It may take a kiss or two


He will be sadly missed.

RIP Michel Jean Legrand (24th February 1932 – 26th January 2019)

6 comments:

  1. Your Post just reminded me of what a Crush I had on Sacha Distel when Young and in Europe! I hadn't even seen his name mentioned in so long I'd forgotten about him! But yes, so sad when the Legendary ones cross over such as Michel Legrand, nice Tribute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Bo - M. Distel was indeed gorgeous. I think you might enjoy this post... Jx

      Delete
  2. Another great loss to the world

    I love his work and you have posted a great selection of it by great artists

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a message - I value your comments!

[NB Bear with me if there is a delay - thanks to spammers I might need to approve comments]